My Homemade Body Butter

Monday, April 22, 2013


 I have been ranting and raving about the body butter I make and how great it so I finally have the time to post the recipe and directions for everyone. For me this recipe always makes 16 oz and all of the items are priced differently at different places so shop around. It is so great because I know exactly what is in it and it makes my skin feel amazingggg.. like, what is lotion? Anyways let's get to it. 

What you will need 
measuring cup
double boiler
bowl
electric food mixer
1 cup Shea Butter (amazon or beauty supply)
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil (trader joes)
1/2 cup carrier oil of your choice (gnc or vitamin shoppe)
(sweet almond, jojoba, grapeseed, avocado, etc.)
1/2 tsp vitamin e (natural preservative) (vitamin shoppe)
about 10 drops of an essential oil for light fragrance (vitamin shoppe)





Since I do not have a double boiler I made one of course, using a pot filled with water low enough to not touch the steel bowl. The steam from the water will allow the shea butter to melt. Continue to let it melt and transfer to your measuring cup using an oven mitt (please don't burn yourself). Once you get to 1 cup transfer into a separate bowl. If your coconut oil is still solid repeat the same step until you get to 1/2 cup and transfer to the bowl.


add one or mix your carrier oil(s) in the measuring cup until you reach 1/2 cup and transfer it to the bowl of shea butter and coconut oil. Add your vitamin e and essential oils to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Stick that bad boy in the freezer for no more than 10 minutes.



 Yea, so I got caught up eating and left it in the freezer for a little too long but I let it sit for about 15 minutes and proceeded to mixing. It's important that you DO NOT try to manually hand mix this because the results will not be the same. The more you mix the fluffier and pale it will become. 



Voilà! So easy to make and very cost-efficient. Your body heat will allow it to melt in your hands and go on somewhat like an oil but it soaks into your skin so perfectly. I usually use this on my body at night right after a shower and my skin holds its moisture the entire next day. Enjoy!!


*good places that you can purchase the items are online, whole foods, trader joe's, vitamin shoppe, gnc, or other health stores.

1 comment:

  1. Double boiler??? What are these things??? Food mixer??? You just have these things laying around!!!! Fancy Smancy

    ReplyDelete