Natural Hair Woes: Big Chop Number Two?!

Monday, May 19, 2014


I'm going to start out this post showing you guys my natural hair when it was THRIVING. I am all out of sorts because I have heat damage and it's at point where I do not think there is any going back. Let me try to simplify this for you guys real quick.



I am a huge fan of blown out braid outs, which means I used heat on my hair from the blow dryer every time I washed it. From what I noticed, the heat from the blow dryer did little to no damage to my hair. I did, however, noticed a change in a few of my strands whenever I straightened my hair after I received a trim.

Recently I used a new product by Beautiful Textures: Texture Manageability System on my hair to help prevent frizz in heat and humid weather. Although my hair is really good at staying straight the product did exactly what it said it would do as far as preventing frizz. My edges remained intact for 4 weeks!! I did more research on the product and found this article from Curly Nikki by way of DrWalkerWellness. It basically states that the product that so called claims to not have any chemicals indeed does have chemicals that temporarily alter the protein bonds in your hair. Also, at the time that I used the product, I chose not to use a heat protectant to prevent any extra weight on my hair. With that being said it is hard for me to blame the product when I chose not to take preventative measures as well.

Lets fast forward to wash day when I saw my hair and was devastated. While washing it in the shower it felt too "soft." Not soft like "ooh girl your hair feels like butter" soft, it felt weak. I did a protein treatment, I washed with a clarifying shampoo, I even did a bentonite clay mask but to no avail. My braid out came out extremely lifeless and it was so frail that I was able to brush it up into the same simple bun I wore when my hair was straight. The last two washes I have done ended up with me straightening my hair and although I do love my hair straight I miss my huge natural hair.

I am on the fence with just enjoying my straight hair over the summer and big chopping in the fall after my birthday, or just getting it over with now. I love the length that my hair is at now but I am not fully satisfied. What is a girl to do? HELP!




2 comments:

  1. Be thankful for the hair you have, us Russell's and Watkins don't that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your hair styles,beautiful!I am also enjoying my straight hair!
    www.chinabestwigs.com

    ReplyDelete