I Just Big Chopped, Now What?! part 1

Sunday, November 16, 2014



For some, you have planned this experience months in advance. You already screenshot your favorite hairstyles you liked from instagram and you already went to Target and stocked up on some shampoo, deep conditioner, and styling butter. For those of you, who like me, just decided in that moment that it was time to part ways with the different textures and cut that bish off, I am here to help. 

I started doing my research about natural hair back in 2009 when YouTube was less complicated and everyones favorite was literally everyones favorite. Anyways, keep reading guys to see what items I think are important to have post big chop.



Spray Bottle w/ Water

  • I just use water. No rose water, no water with vegetable glycerin, H2O.


Shampoo

  • My favorite shampoo is the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo. I've strayed away from it in the past but I would always come back. You do not have to use a shampoo that is made for natural hair but it is recommended because shampoo can be very drying on your strands. Since the natural hair "army" has formed, a lot of popular brands that are not aimed towards selling to the natural hair community have started making their shampoo's without drying ingredients. 


Conditioner
  • Leave-In: Some will tell you a leave-in is necessary and some will tell you that it's a waste of a step and money. Do I use one? Yes, but not religiously. The days I forget I'm just like, meh whatever. I have used the Giovanni Direct Leave-In (love) and the Kinky Curly Knot Today (also love).
  • Conditioner: Quiet as it's kept, you can use a cheap conditioner allll the time and call it a day. My favorite cheapy is the TRESemmé Naturals Conditioner. It's so huge and it's $5! 
  • Deep Conditioner: When your hair starts to get uncontrollably dry OR if you have color treated hair it's important that you deep condition. When I first went natural I would make my own quick and easy deep conditioner by grabbing a cheap conditioner and extra virgin olive oil. Mix mix mix, slap on damp hair and cover it with a plastic shopping bag for about an hour, or 5..... I have another super hydrating deep conditioner recipe here on my blog, click --> here!  These natural hair companies are now starting to make deep conditioners that you can grab off the shelf.

Styler -

  • Whew, there are countless amounts of products that you can use and try so I will just tell you what I liked when I started styling my hair. Oyin Handmade Whipped Pudding and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Shea Moisture was all us naturals had when Target started introducing what they then called their "ethnic hair products"...that got changed quick. If your favorite product isn't giving you enough hold add a gel. I love aloe vera gel because it produces a very light hold. 


Tools -
  • Wide tooth combs are necessary if your hair is too short to finger detangle or if you want to use something besides your fingers. I also use a rat tail comb to make sure all the kinks are out but that is totally up to you. 
  • Bobby pins! You will soon find out that they either disappear in your hair or are scattered in any direction of your bedroom floor. I know this is going to sound so bouji of me but I have a favorite brand of bobby pins anddd they aren't relatively cheap. They are the MetaGrip Bob Pins and will run you $8. You get 300 and they're so perfect. Buy them.

Well that was long for a "basics" post huh? It is a bit wordy but I tried my best. As far as oil goes, just use the extra virgin olive oil you have in your kitchen cabinet for now to seal in the moisture. How do you seal in the moisture? After you apply the moisturizing styling product add some oil to help seal in the moisture.

Until next time beauties. 
Love people, love YOU!

*sidenote: If any product you buy is not to your liking then keep the receipt and return/exchange it!

ftc: all products mentioned were purchased by me and these opinions are my own.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!